A pitching event for all Latino/Latine/Latinx creators of young people’s literature
ABOUT LatinxPitch for KidLit
LatinxPitch is a kidlit pitching event for creators of children’s literature who belong to the Latinx community.
To raise up Latinx voices and representation in children’s literature. We are committed to affirming the many unique and different creators that exist within the wide diversity of the Latinx community.
An annual twitter pitch party exclusively for Kidlit Latinx creators.
September 15th 2020 from 8am to 8pm CDT time.
WHO – Eligibility
- All UNAGENTED and AGENTED Kidlit LATINX authors, author-illustrators, and illustrators are welcome to participate. Kidlit includes board books, picture books, chapter books, middle grade, graphic novels and young adult.
- Anyone who self- identifies as Latinx with cultural ancestry in Latin-America is encouraged to participate. If you’re a bilingual Latinx creator not living in the US but are interested in publishing in this market, you are eligible to participate. If you are married to someone who is Latinx or your subject matter includes Latinx heritage, but you are NOT a self-identified Latinx creator, we ask you to refrain from participating in this specific event.
- Latinx creators are welcome to submit any type of story or topic that falls under the Kidlit umbrella. There is no expectation that pitches should only cover Latinx themes as we fully recognize the diversity of talent, interests, and knowledge of our community. Our goal is to showcase these talents and promote Latinx expertise and skills to the wider community.
- Agented authors and illustrators should check with their agents and agencies before the pitch.
- If you’re an illustrator pitching work-for-hire/commissions include work samples from your portfolio and your topics of interest.
RULES FOR WRITERS
- Post your pitches using #latinxpitch from your personal Twitter account. You are not required to register for this event.
- Add your genre #BB (board books) #PB (picture books) #CB (chapter book) #MG (middle grade) #GN (graphic novel) #YA (young adult) #Art to make it easier for agents and editors to find you.
- Add a subgenre if desired: #AuthorIllustrator, #NF (Non-Fiction), #OWN (Own voices), #DIS (Disability), #Romance, #Fantasy, #LGTBIQ, #WFH (Work-for-hire)
- Agented authors and illustrators must include the hashtag #Editor to indicate they are looking for an editor and not an agent.
- Pitch each manuscript/art project only ONCE in the morning and ONCE in the evening. Each project can have a total of two pitches during the event. Only pitch completed, unpublished manuscripts or samples of a complete proposal for artwork. Self-published projects are not eligible.
- You can post up to 4 manuscripts/art proposals in the morning and 4 manuscripts/art proposals in the evening, for a total of 8 pitches during the day. You can only post the same project twice during the event.
- Remember do not like fellow authors’ pitches. As a creator you can show your encouragement to work you like by commenting on pitches. We are looking for ONLY Agents and Editors to FAVORITE and RETWEET pitches. A retweet from an editor will be a signal for agents, they are looking for this specific type of project (#MSWL). A retweet means interest, a like means request.
- Please note if an editor likes your pitch, but can accept ONLY agented submissions, do not submit your work directly to them. However, you can note their interest when querying agents.
- If you receive interest from agents or editors accepting unagented submissions, we recommend you do your research before submitting. You have no obligation to submit your work if it’s not a right fit for you.
RULES FOR AGENTS AND EDITORS
- Please visit our event from 8 am to 8pm on September 15th. Writers will post up to 4 original pitches in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. The same project will be posted a max of 2 times.
- Post your guidelines for submitting on your twitter page.
- Please LIKE pitches you would like to request. Agented writers will use #agented as a hashtag. Unagented writers will not have that hashtag. If you prefer only agented submissions, you may RETWEET to signal agents you are interested. A retweet means interest, a like means a request.
- We hope you find many voices to enrich your book lists and we appreciate you for opening a door to the Latinx community.
LatinxPitch How-To: On #PBChat from 8-10 p.m. EST on August 19th. Follow @JustinRColon on Twitter!
LatinxPitch Practice: On September 8th. Follow us for more information.